I made the first part of the vague plan for 2019 which was “Summer in New York”, but so much is happening right now…I need to fly back to the UK to deal with some rental property and pension issues. Hurricane Dorian has made me think about my plans to sail south…I want to leave the boat north of New York City to suit my boat insurance and my own peace of mind. Neither of my boys can make it to the Bahamas for Christmas. So I will stay in Long Island Sound until at least the end of October and then head south to wherever for Christmas…Charleston, Florida, Miami? I will go to the Bahamas when there is positive news about when and where to go. Right now some islands are dealing with the aftermath of Dorian rather than thinking about Christmas!
The featured photograph is Throgs Neck Bridge at the end of the East River which connects New York City to the Long Island Sound. I anchored in Little Bay and watched the sunset. The next day I had to motor for 40nm to Bridgeport, Connecticut and decided to anchor in the harbour for two nights. Then I had a great 55nm sail to New London to anchor in the River Thames…and start planning my trip to the UK, where I go next and getting the boat lifted out to do the usual maintenance.
I anchored in Green Bay for about ten days and used the dinghy dock in Burrs Marina and then organised a 30 day mooring in the marina so I could fly back to the UK knowing that the boat would be safe. Once in the UK I was able to sort out the most pressing issues, meet up with a couple of friends in London and stay with my youngest son, Elliot and his girlfriend Amy in Baildon near Leeds. It’s now October and time to return to Connecticut to prepare for heading south to Miami for Christmas!
A dismal and uncomfortable Norwegian Airlines flight to JFK was quickly forgotten as I was able to have lunch in Manhattan with Alec before I jumped on an Amtrak train back to New London where subtropical storm Melissa was hitting the Connecticut coastline!